The final moments of Orycon 36 are coming to an end. Thank you to EVERYONE who made this con possible, not just the hard-working committee and volunteers, but all the panelists and attendees as well.
The Orycon 37 website is now up. If you missed a chance to buy an early bird membership for next year, you've got till December 31st to do it online.
SEE YOU NEXT YEAR, NOVEMBER 20-22 AT THE WATERFRONT PORTLAND MARRIOTT HOTEL!!
The Endeavour Awards were given Friday night--not to one, but two novels. Nexus by Ramez Naam, and Requiem by Ken Scholes, tied. The other finalists were King of Swords by Dave Duncan, Protector by C.J. Cherryh, and The Meaning of Luff by Matthew Hughes.
Band Scramble band lineups have been announced:
- First band scramble: Kitten, Sunnie Larsen, CD Woodbury, Jessica Hebert.
- Second band scramble: Kathleen Seligman, Eleanor Stokes, Von Tusbery, Callie Hills.
- Third band scramble: Andrew Ross, Eric Hart, Amanda Morris, Cecilia Eng.
The concert is Sunday, 1pm, in the Oregon Room.
First, a word from our chair:
Ball pits are banned.
Check out our online schedule here:
Hours of Operation during the convention:
Open to Membership 9am-11am
Close-out for Auction 11am-12pm
Pick-up art/Tear-down 30 minutes after auction ends -5pm
Saturday 10am-11pm, with breaks at 1pm-1:30pm and 6pm-6:30pm
The hotel is filling up with people in all kinds of colorful costumes, coffee is brewing in Hospitality, Info Desk is flexing their mighty info-filled brains, Gaming is sorting through their many-sided dice, Dealers are getting ready to hurry up and take your money already, and Registration is poised and ready.
Let's do this thing.
Highlights to remember:
- Our online schedule makes planning your weekend easier! Use it as a mobile app, have it email you your schedule every morning, and/or print it out.
- The Daily OryConian newsletter will be available every morning, with changes, additions, cancellations and general nonsense. Look for it at all official access points, like Info Desk, Office, Hospitality, Registration and so on.
- There are areas of the hotel you cannot enter in face masks or face paint.
- The hotel is stuffed to the gills, so don't depend on early check-in. Our front desk friends remind us, though, that they will watch your baggage so you can enjoy the day until your room is ready.
- Parking passes are available at a discount for folks NOT already staying at the hotel.
- And...follow us on Facebook and Twitter, or watch the hashtag #Orycon36, for news, notices, updates and even more general nonsense.
The deliciousness that is Bro Dogs will be back at OryCon every single day, located outside the Ball Room doors near the Fan Tables. Their prices average $4-$8 and the servings are large. Here's the schedule:
New format this year, more like contests you may have seen at other conventions. We hope you will all come out and show off your amazing outfits!
Our judges panel will include our cosplay guest of honor Jesse Lagers and his partner, Chin Chin, along with a mystery judge....
For details, rules and the entry form please visit:
OryCon 36 Costume Contest
Get involved in the music at OryCon! We will be holding:
Songcircles Friday, Nov. 7 from 2 to 4 pm and 10 pm to 3 am, Saturday, Nov. 8 from 10 pm to 2 am, and Sunday, Nov. 9 rom 3:30 to 5 pm
An all-invited jam Saturday, Nov. 8 from 5 to 6 pm
A Band Scramble (you throw your name in, we draw bands at random) Sunday, Nov. 9 from 1 to 1L30 pm – bands announced Saturday, Nov. 8 at 12:00. To participate, send your name to music#orycon.org or drop your name in the basket at the Info Desk.
...and a New Song Contest Sunday, Nov. 9 from 1:30 to 2 pm. First prize is a $20 gift certificate to from Friends of Filk, usable in the dealers’ room. Theme will be announced Friday, Nov. 7, at 12:00. Watch at the Oregon Room, the Info Desk, and this space! Read the official rules.
The folks from VooDoo Doughnuts will be there every day at con to satisfy your sugar needs. They'll be located outside the Ball Room doors, near the Fan Tables. Here's their schedule:
Please note the hours are different from previous years.