Creation Station is a unique programming track at OryCon, full of exciting workshops and events, from the most G-rated to some for adults 18+. Our overall gestalt approach to programming is to be a warm welcome wagon for anyone, of any age and any skill level, who is new to something – OryCon, science fiction cons, being a panelist, experimenting with a type of fan creation, or a type of fan performance encouraged in one of our panels.
Our panels are all about audience participation. They are usually either DIY, teaching attendees how to engage a type of writing, editing, art, craft, costuming, cosplay, etc.; or they are hands-on crafts, usually with attendees leaving with something they can take home, including our crafts for the youngest kids; or they include fandom celebrations and other open mics for audience participation.
OryCon has been our home base for 6 years. Creation Station crew, though, first coalesced at an anime con in 2004, and we have always actively included teens and young adults as among our core panelists and content designers, as well as among our core attendees for our G through PG-13 programming.
As always, we have lots of new events this year, including many specifically of interest to kids, tweens, and teens.
New panels which may especially appeal to children and tweens:
- Hunger Games Fan Art Contest
- Hunger Games: Make Your Own District Pin!
- Amigurumi! (Anime-culture crocheted fandom dolls) -- Learn to make them!
New panels which may appeal more to teens and adults (listed in the order they chronologically take place within OryCon 36)
- TARDIS Hats! Make a mini-hat that lights up
- Frankenstuffies for Teens and Adults (Note: A session for Kids & Tweens is in the OryKids room.)
- Game of Thrones Fanfiction and Cosplay
- Battelstar Galactica & Personhood
- Surrealist Parlour Games: Exquisite Corpse
- The 52 Project: Writing a Short Story, Every Week, for a Year (and publishing the best!)
- Make-Up: Alien Face makeup, '70s-style
- Can You Survive An Alien Invasion? Trivia Game
- Steampunk Filmmaking: Movies By Makers
- Secondhand First: Repurposing Leather for Crafts and Costumes
- Coloring Titanium with Electricity!
As always, we will also feature many of your ongoing favorites, including: Yarning for the Doctor I & II: Intro to Fandom Knitting & Crocheting; Colors Of The Apocalypse (Body Painting); Gaming Glory Stories; Barrowman Boot(y) Camp; and, of course, Make Your Own Sonic Screwdriver! and Doctor Who Fandom Celebration: Tiptoe Through the Tardis.
While most of our panels are in the Washington room, 3 of our Friday night Whovian panels and our stand-up comedy panel are in Jefferson-Adams, and others among our panels are in Roosevelt.
For more info, or to propose new content, for Creation Station, please contact:
Ellen Klowden, aka Rem, Creation Station coordinator